Transferring your investments is easy
We’ve made transferring as easy as possible. You can transfer individual investments and whole accounts.
Simply select the type of account your investments are held in or the type of account you want to transfer:
If you want to transfer more than one account, please reselect each one and complete the relevant form
2. Complete your form
Having chosen your account in step 1, click on the relevant button below. Please complete the form, print, sign and send it to us.
3. Send it to us
Why transfer your investments?
When you hold your investments with a number of different providers, it can be difficult and time-consuming to keep track of how they’re all doing. But with a Barclays Stockbrokers account, you can make it quick and easy.
Our transfer team organises everything after we’ve received your form. We’ll also tell you how the transfer is progressing.
You can contact your current provider to ensure they’re processing your transfer as quickly as possible.
The actual time needed depends on a number of factors, including:
- The time it takes your current provider to respond to our requests
- The type of assets that are being transferred – cash typically takes 1-2 weeks; funds, equities and non-UK listed investments can take between 4-6 weeks, although please note if your current provider does not transfer electronically (i.e. relies on postal communication) this can make transfer times longer, in some cases up to 12 weeks.
- The possibility of additional documentation needed by us or your current provider
- The possibility of you still having to pay fees to your current provider, including closure and administration fees.
What are the transfer costs?
It’s usually free. We refund transfer costs charged by your current provider.
Simply tell us about the transfer costs you’ve paid after the transfer. We’ll refund them – we need proof of course – we cover up to £500 for any exit fees you may incur. This usually takes about two weeks.
Refunds can be made into your chosen bank account or by cheque. They can also be added to your Barclays Stockbrokers MarketMaster or SIPP when a pension has been transferred. You can view the terms and conditions of this offer here.
With Barclays Stockbrokers you’re in control. You can view all your investments online – in one place – whenever you like.
We offer a wide range of investments to match your objectives and give you access to over 2,000 funds from more than 100 providers at no initial charge. We also offer shares, gilts, bonds, Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) and Exchange Traded Commodities (ETCs)
You can transfer cash, individual investments like stocks or funds, and one or more investment accounts including Investment ISAs, Cash ISAs, Trading Accounts, SIPPs and Pension Trader Accounts.
We do not accept defined benefit pensions and suggest that you carefully consider that you are not giving up valuable benefits before you action any transfer. This generally means that only the pension types listed below may be suitable for transferring to a SIPP. If it is a work place scheme and you are still an active member of the pension scheme, you are likely to give up important benefits it you were to transfer. For example your employer will be making contributions on your behalf and there are likely to be spouse’s pensions and death benefits associated with it.
|Defined Contribution Scheme - Contract Structure
||Defined Contribution - Personal Pension
||Other Pension schemes|
We don’t accept transfers from a final salary pension scheme, because it's unlikely to be in your best interest to move it.
Things to consider before transferring pensions:
- You’re happy to manage your own pension investments
- Your pension can be transferred. Not all pensions can be transferred to our SIPP. It may not be in your best interest to move certain pensions. That’s why we don’t accept transfers from defined benefit pension schemes like final salary plans.
- You’re not giving up valuable benefits by transferring. For example, if it is a work place scheme and you are still an active member of the pension scheme you are likely to give up important benefits if you were to transfer. For example, your employer will be making contributions on your behalf and there are likely to be spouse’s pensions and death benefits associated with it.
You should consider carefully whether you’re prepared to accept the higher risks that come with investing your money. The value of investments can fall as well as rise. You may get back less than you invest. If you’re unsure, we recommend you ask for independent financial advice.
What will you save?
Switching funds into clean share classes
- If you transfer funds to us that are in a bundled share class, they will be switched within your Barclays Stockbrokers account to the equivalent clean share class (i.e. one which does not pay trail commission). Your investment will remain in the same fund however the clean share-classes charge a lower AMC than the bundled equivalent share classes. A switch represents the sale of your bundled holdings.
- Find out more about switching funds into clean share classes
- Find out more about the Retail Distribution Review