Why choose UK stocks and shares?
You can invest in the companies you know and use every day
You can buy shares in a huge range of UK companies - and buying and selling is straightforward.
Buy into British business
There are over 1,000 companies quoted on the London Stock Exchange's (LSE) main market, with a combined value of over £2 trillion. You can invest in everything from a high street retailer to a specialist mining or telecoms company, giving you great opportunities for diversification. However, you should remember that investing in individual shares is generally only suitable for experienced investors with portfolios large enough to give the benefit of diversity. Like all investments, the value of shares can fall as well as rise and you should be prepared to lose some or all of your investment.
When you create your portfolio, you might want to avoid putting too much money into similar investments. Spreading your investment - diversifying - across asset types, industries and regions can help lower your overall risk. This is because a loss in one area may not have such a big impact on your overall portfolio.
Invest your way
Stocks and shares can be a good choice for experienced investors who want flexibility as you can buy and sell online or by phone. In general, share prices move by the second and you can get a real-time price whenever the market is open - from 08:00 to 16:30 Monday to Friday. You can also place an order when the market is closed and it will be carried out when the market opens again, or when it reaches a certain price set by you.
Invest for income
Many companies pay dividends to shareholders - payments out of their profits. If you want an investment that might generate a cash income, holding UK shares in companies that offer dividends is one way to aim to achieve your goal. Bear in mind though that dividends are not guaranteed and, since the value of the shares can fall, you could get back less than you invested.
Why trade UK shares with Barclays Stockbrokers?
- Buy and sell online for as little as £5.95 per deal from 1 March 2014
- Barclays Stockbrokers Price Improver® can give you better prices than those available on the London Stock Exchange
- Make informed decisions using our exclusive research
- Manage your investments with advanced order types including limits, stop orders and our award-winning trailing stop orders
- The value of your investments can fall as well as rise and you may get back less than you initially invested.
- Investing is not for everyone, if you are unsure please seek independent advice.
Ready to invest?