How to invest in gilts or bonds
Balance your portfolio with gilts or bonds in a few simple steps
You can buy gilts and bonds in your MarketMaster®, Investment ISA, SIPP or Pension Trader Account.
If you decide to invest in bonds or gilts, there are three ways to do it. You can:
- Invest in a managed fund that includes bonds as part of its investment strategy
- Invest in Exchange Traded Funds that track the bond or gilt market, such as the iShares FTSE UK All Stocks Gilt (IGLT)
- If you are a more experienced investor you may want to buy individual bonds directly in your Barclays Stockbrokers MarketMaster®, Investment ISA, SIPP or PTA.
However you choose to invest, you need to accept that the value of these investments can fall. You may get back less than you invested.
1) Invest in a managed fund
2) Invest in Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs)
ETFs such as iShares offer a simple, flexible way to follow the performance of an index or group of investments. You can buy and sell them like normal company shares.
There are ETFs that track indices based on corporate bonds, gilts and even European government bonds.
3) Buy bonds or gilts directly
If you want to invest, you can buy gilts or bonds in the following Barclays Stockbrokers accounts:
To invest, call us on 0845 601 7788* with your account details. You cannot buy bonds or gilts online.