When you buy or sell shares and some other types of investments, this is known as an ‘order’. You can set conditions on how the investments are bought and sold – e.g. buy or sell at a certain price or time – using order types. These are advanced tools that help you manage your investment strategy effectively, even when you’re not actively watching the market.
However, even with orders in place, nothing is guaranteed with investing. The value of your investments can fall as well as rise and you could lose some or all of your money.
We offer you five different order types:
Quote and deal
When you want to know the exact share price before you buy or sell – or need to be able to buy or sell almost instantly – you can use a quote and deal order.
- An automatic investing service which is available during market hours (8am to 4.30pm)
- See live price quotes from the market before you place an order
- Barclays Stockbrokers Price Improver® gives you the best price available from our selected Retail Service Providers (RSPs) every time you trade.
- Shows you any improvement on the market price we have been able to secure before you place an order.
These allow you to buy or sell at a set price, which can either be higher or lower than the current share price. Your order will be placed automatically once the set price is reached.
- You can have a limit order in place for up to 30 days
- We monitor your limit orders automatically to see if the price you set is available, until the order expires. If your set price is not reached, your order will expire without an order being placed
- We can send you an email alert to let you know when your order has been placed or has expired.
These guarantee your order will be placed quickly, but don’t allow you to set the price.
- Ideal for large orders or for placing orders after the market has closed
- Handy if you want to set up the next day’s orders outside of market hours
- Because you can’t set a price, the actual price at which you buy or sell may be higher or lower than you expected
- We can send you an email alert to let you know when your order triggers.
When share prices are moving quickly, stop orders – also known as stop loss orders – can help protect your investments.
- Automatically lock in gains or limit your losses when share prices are falling
- You can choose a price that will automatically trigger a sell order, i.e. your shares will be made available on the market and sold at the next available market price
- You can also add a limit price, which can protect you further. This lets you set the minimum price you’re prepared to sell at and can be useful when prices are falling or rising quickly
- We can send you an email alert to let you know when your stop order triggers.
Trailing stop order - Exclusive to Barclays Stockbrokers
Trailing stop orders allow you to buy when prices are near a low and sell just when prices have reached a peak.
- You can set a dealing band that moves in relation to a share’s price
- This can potentially help you get a better price
- We can send you an email alert to let you know when your order triggers
Things to remember
- The value of investments can fall as well as rise and you could get back less than you invested
- If you’re unsure about whether an investment is right for you, please seek independent financial advice.