How to open a Barclays Stockbrokers SIPP
Opening a Barclays Stockbrokers SIPP is simple and you can apply online or by post.
Here are a few steps to get ready:
- Check you're eligible. To open and fund a SIPP you must be under the age of 75. You also need to be a UK resident or have relevant UK earnings for the current tax year.
- Make sure you understand the important details. Our Key Features [PDF, 301KB] document covers the essentials. There is also additional information relating to taking benefits from your SIPP included in the Benefits Key Features [PDF, 273KB]
- Read our Terms & Conditions [PDF, 554KB]. When you apply, we'll ask you to confirm that you agree with them. Also have a look at our rates and charges.
- Have your personal information at hand. You'll need your National Insurance number, your employer's name and address - if your employer will be making contributions - and details of existing pension schemes that you want to transfer to your new SIPP.
Things to remember:
It's important to remember that:
- Managing your own pension is not everyone's cup of tea. You need skill and experience to make decisions that meet your objectives and plans for retirement.
- As with all pension funds, the value of SIPP investments can fall as well as rise. Tax rules and treatment on pensions may change.
- If you're unsure, we recommend you ask for independent advice. Barclays Stockbrokers doesn't offer investment or tax advice.
Not all pensions can be transferred to our SIPP. It may not be in your best interest to move certain pensions. That's why we don't accept transfers from defined benefit pension schemes like final salary plans. Also, you should make sure that you are not losing any valuable benefits or rights before transferring any other type of scheme.
Apply online or by post
You can choose from one of the following options:
- Open an account online - You'll be redirected to the AJ Bell website, where you can complete an online application form. AJ Bell is an independent pension administration specialist which provides the Barclays Stockbrokers SIPP, not part of Barclays.
- Download an application form [PDF, 239KB] and apply by post.
Call us on 0808 159 4953* or 0141 352 3937* and we'll send you an application pack.
- The value of your investments can fall as well as rise and you may get back less than you initially invested.
- Investing is not for everyone; if you are unsure please seek independent advice.; if you are unsure please seek independent advice.
Ready to invest?