How to transfer between a cash and Investment ISA
For the first time, you are now able to transfer your ISA holdings both ways between a cash ISA and Investment ISA to suit what’s right for you.
Transferring your ISAs will not affect their tax-free status but you should check whether you will incur any charges or penalties before you transfer out.
Transferring your cash ISA to an Investment ISA
If you have a cash ISA and are prepared to risk loss of capital and don’t need to draw on your money for some years, then transferring to an Investment ISA might allow you to gain a potentially better rate of return on your cash.
Lower risk investments are now available within our Investment ISA, such as government or corporate bonds with less than five years to maturity. If you accept that these investments can fall in value and you may lose money, then these new choices may be appropriate for you.
Don’t forget that you can also transfer any other cash or stocks & shares ISAs held with other ISA providers into your Barclays Stockbrokers Investment ISA too.
Transferring your Investment ISA to a cash ISA
If you have cash in your Investment ISA that you want to hold for the medium to long term, then you may receive a better rate of return if you transfer this cash to a cash ISA.
Barclays offers a choice of cash ISAs, depending on whether you want instant access to your cash, or are prepared to lock your ISA money away.
Find out more about Barclays Bank cash ISAs
How to transfer from your Barclays Stockbrokers Investment ISA to a Barclays Bank cash ISA
You can transfer some or all of your assets in your Investment ISA to a Barclays Bank cash ISA.
If you are not a Barclays Bank customer, you’ll need to open a current account prior to arranging an ISA transfer. Visit the Barclays cash ISA site for more information about transferring the cash from your Investment ISA to a Barclays cash ISA.
If you are a Barclays Bank customer, read the information below on transferring cash from your Barclays Stockbrokers Investment ISA to a Barclays Bank cash ISA.
- If you don’t have the cash that you want to transfer in your Investment ISA, you must sell the assets you no longer wish to hold so the cash is ready to transfer from your Investment ISA.
- If you have a Barclays Instant Cash ISA - Issue 1 or Barclays Flexible Cash ISA, you can transfer the cash from your Investment ISA directly into your existing cash ISA by completing this ISA transfer form [PDF, 154KB]and return it to us at the address on the form.
- If you don’t have a cash ISA with Barclays, or have a cash ISA which is different to those named above, you must first open a new cash ISA through online banking, by calling 03457 445 445 or in branch. You should then complete the ISA transfer form [PDF, 154KB] and return it to us at the address on the form.
Important things to remember
Investing is not for everyone
- If you’re unsure, we recommend you ask for independent advice
- The value of investments can rise or fall and you may get back less than you invested
- Tax rules may change in the future and whether particular tax rules benefit you, will depend on your individual circumstances
- Complete an ISA transfer by using the ISA transfer process which will ensure you maintain the Tax status of the money you wish to transfer.
Ready to invest?