How to open an Investment (stocks and shares) ISA
Opening a Barclays Stockbrokers Investment ISA online is easy. Here are a few steps to get ready:
- Check you’re eligible. To open an Investment ISA you have to be over the age of 18. You also need to be a UK resident or a non-resident who is either employed by the Crown or their spouse.
- Read the Barclays Terms [PDF, 1MB] and rates and charges. When you apply, we’ll ask you to confirm that you agree with them.
- Have your personal information to hand. You’ll need your National Insurance number, address details for the last three years, and bank account number and sort code. Your account must be able to accept debits and credit – it cannot be a savings or business account, but a personal current account is fine. You may need a bank statement that’s less than three months old.
Managing your own investments is not for everyone
- You need skill and experience
- The value of investments can fall as well as rise
- If you’re unsure, we recommend you ask for independent advice.
Apply online or by post
Completing the application form usually takes about 10 minutes. You can save your form and return to it later.
We need to check your identity. This can usually be done electronically but if that’s not possible, we’ll ask you to send us documents to complete the check. As soon as your Investment ISA is open you can fund your new account. You can pay in money by debit card or bank transfer – so you can start investing on the same business day. You can also pay in by cheque or Direct Debit.
Apply by post [PDF, 227KB]
You can also apply by post. In that case, please download, complete and send the application form to us.
- The value of your investments can fall as well as rise and you may get back less than you initially invested.
- Investing is not for everyone, if you are unsure please seek independent advice.
Ready to invest?